[TriLUG] Win4Lin(was linuux mouse kvm problems)

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 11 04:10:50 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeremy Portzer" <jeremyp at pobox.com>
To: <trilug at trilug.org>
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2003 11:47 AM
Subject: Re: [TriLUG] Win4Lin(was linuux mouse kvm problems)

> On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 11:26, Lisa C. Boyd wrote:
> > Roy Vestal wrote:
> > > Be careful. M$ has officially stopped supporting Win95 and plans to
stop
> > > supporting Win98/Me by the end of Summer 2003. This will affect those
> > > that use Win4Lin, suchas myself.
> >
> > Well, to be honest, I don't use Microsoft support anyways so I wouldn't
> > care about calling them with questions :) Although I have Win2k so since
> > that isn't supported under Win4Lin I might have to rethink some things.
>
> I think by "support" he meant that Microsoft will stop releasing
> hotfixes and updates to fix security and other bugs.
Uh, I believe that Microsoft stopped supporting any of the Win9x series a
long time ago. The only people to my knowledge who receive such support are
those who send a hefty check to Microsoft in order to receive patches and
such. If what Microsoft does now is considered "support", I would imagine
that "non-support" wouldn't be much different. There was a time long ago
when everyone could go to the Microsoft website and get lots of free support
and free upgrades for their W9x OS's. But that generosity ceased long ago.
The only thing Microsoft is interested in now is their latest and
"allegedly" greatest new OS. And that support only lasts until their newer
OS comes out.

It's akin to having all Microsoft users on drugs with Microsoft as their
dealer--- You have to buy a new OS, if you want a fix!!! If you want to keep
an old OS, you still have to pay for a fix for that as well!!! Quite
different from Linux support, isn't it??
----Happy New Year, everyone---Al Johnson.