[TriLUG] Here's another Linux fan who published their article in an unusal place--A Frugal-Living newsletter!!

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 13 00:31:40 EST 2003

Seems like every day I'm being bombarded with articles about Linux for
newbies esp. in unusual sources!!
This one is esp. unusual since it appeared in a newsletter which
concentrates on financial tips-- Gary Stretcher's newsletter, located on
www.stretcher.com. This is also an excellent, free newsletter in case you're
looking for something to help you save your money in other areas. I was esp.
impressed with the links which are in this article, naturally a lot of us
are familiar with them already, but it was amazing that some of these would
appear in a newsletter of this kind. It's another newsletter you can forward
to friends who haven't already "seen the Linux light".---Al Johnson.
===================

                          *********
                       Close the Windows

I have a suggestion for those that may be purchasing a new
computer or a refurb (just as good). This would also pertain
to those that may be experiencing major problems with the
computer that they already own.

And that suggestion is LINUX. Linux has come along way since
its inception. It has a GUI now and reminds me of the MAC
desktop. It's more stable than Windows will ever be, when
adding new hardware. (No more reboots!) You can pretty much do
anything with Linux, that one can do on Windows.

As time goes on, more and more applications will be 'ported'
to Linux. You can download most any 'distribution' of Linux
from the web for FREE! When was the last time Microsoft
offered Windows for FREE? For those that may have dialups or
just don't like downloading ISO files, I would like to
recommend visiting www.cheapbytes.com or www.cheapISO.com or
go to www.linuxtrader.com for a complete listing of cheap
Linux CD sites.

Also, you can get a complete FREE Office Suite, which is
completely Microsoft compatible, for those still using
Windows. It's called Openoffice, available at
www.openoffice.org . (also available for mac) There are
thousands of applications for Linux.

This is just an alternative to Windows. If we are considering
savings, this should be a major consideration.
Stu of Madisonville, KY