[TriLUG] Setting up roots email address?

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Jan 13 15:38:57 EST 2003

Jason,

Read over his question a little more closely.  Your fix changes who
email *to* the root user is delivered to.  He wants to change where mail
*from* the root user appears to be *coming from*.

BP:

I'm not sure there's much that can be done when you use the basic "mail"
program.  You can fix the local hostname to update the
"localhost.localdomain" part (/etc/sysconfig/network and also your
postfix configs) , but the message will always appear to be from root
since "mail" is being run as root.  Alternatively you can write a script
that calls "sendmail -t" directly (should work under postfix too, since
postfix includes a sendmail wrapper) and then supplies the necessary
"From" header.

--Jeremy