[TriLUG] Linux laptop

Jim Ray jim at neuse.net
Mon Jan 13 20:02:11 EST 2003

OS kept detecting new hardware on almost every boot.  After a dozen
times, you end up with a dozen modems on a dozen COM ports.  Even
disabling in BIOS did not make the problem go away.

Believe it or not, it has been steady for a few days now.  Maybe they
found something loose.  Although I was ready to ream Toshiba a new wazoo
after 2 depot services in a month, I was nice and professional by merely
telling them their mama wears army boots.

How the heck I ended up with working modems on Com6 and Com7, I'll never
know.  I'm lost after Com1-4 and irq 3-5.