[TriLUG] Linux VPNs

Joe Garvey jgarvey at us.ibm.com
Tue Jan 14 09:35:41 EST 2003

Have you looked at FreeSwan? I believe the url is http://www.freeswan.org.
I'm using it right now. Don't bother asking me for config/install help. It
came preinstalled
on this system.

Joe Garvey
jgarvey at us.ibm.com

                      <gregbrown at mindsp
                      ring.com>                To:       trilug at trilug.org
                      Sent by:                 cc:
                      trilug-admin at tril        Subject:  [TriLUG] Linux VPNs
                      ug.org

                      01/13/2003 11:06
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      trilug

Has anyone experimented with Linux VPNs?  I have two scenarios I'd like to
investigate:

1. point-to-point VPN.  Simply put, two linux routers, one on each end of a
connection.  Both routers support VPNs between them sporting triple-DES
encryption.  Can this be done?  Has anyone done this?

(and less importantly)

2. A VPN firewall much like the LU Brick, Cisco PIX, blah, whatever.
Clients
(sporting a variety of operating systems) connecting to the Firewall and
authenticate via some kind of VPN client then the firewall sets up a nice
triple-DES fully encrypted tunnel over protocols 50 and 51 between the FW
and
the client.

Has anyone done this with an Open Souce solution?  I've set this up a
number
of times with various firewalls but I'd like to have an Open Source set-up
for
a few clients I have in mind.

muchas gracias,

Greg