[TriLUG] procmail, sendmail, spamassassin, and .forward

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Jan 14 12:33:58 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 12:22, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> okey, this has been driving me buggy for a while, and i haven't
> been able to locate the info.
>
> i'm running incoming mail through spamassassin's spamc with
>
>   :0fw
>   | spamc -u $LOGNAME
>
> my .forward includes something like
>
>   | "/some/script"
>
> what's happening is that mail reaching my inbox has the s-a
> frobbing done to it, but the /some/script is getting it before
> s-a has had a chance to do anything with it.
>
> what do i need to do in procmailrc in order to force everything
> *through* s-a on its way to the next step?  so that piped scripts
> in .forwards and mailboxes both get s-a massaged messages?

Well it sounds like the .forward is being executed before procmail,
though I'm not enough of an expert to know why.  However, why can't you
just put the "/some/script" directly in the procmailrc, and get rid of
the forward altogether?  Then you can be certain of the order of things
in .procmailrc.

--Jeremy