[TriLUG] Question for you LVM users

Steven Blanchard sgblanch at email.unc.edu
Wed Jan 15 12:53:51 EST 2003

Joseph Tate wrote:
> I've been fiddling with LVM for the last couple of days.  It's cool, but
> every time I reboot the server, it complains.  It says that my LVM
> partition is not a valid block device.  This causes fsck to fail, and
> the boot to hang until I hit enter (this is a remote server, so this is
> bad).  The LVM howto said that no further modifications were needed. Was
> it incorrect?  What else do I need to do to get my LVM partitions to
> mount at boot time.  I'm running Red Hat 7.3.

Redhat linux has a catch-22 for LVM in the init scripts, it will not
initialize lvm unless it is present in the kernel, since lvm is loaded
as a module, it is not initalized... the easiest way i have found is to
add the following lines to /etc/modules.conf:

alias block-major-58 lvm-mod
post-install block-major-58 /sbin/vgscan && /sbin/vgchange -a y
pre-remove block-major-58 /sbin/vgchange -a n
alias block-major-109 lvm-mod
post-install block-major-109 /sbin/vgscan && /sbin/vgchange -a y
pre-remove block-major-109 /sbin/vgchange -a n