[TriLUG] Question for you LVM users

Steven Blanchard sgblanch at email.unc.edu
Wed Jan 15 15:09:13 EST 2003

Joseph Tate wrote:

> Steven Blanchard wrote:
>
>> Redhat linux has a catch-22 for LVM in the init scripts, it will not
>> initialize lvm unless it is present in the kernel, since lvm is loaded
>> as a module, it is not initalized... the easiest way i have found is
>> to add the following lines to /etc/modules.conf:
>>
> Is that redundant?  Why the two different blocks?  58 and 109?  Are they
> for two different LVM volumes?

well, ill be... my mistake: should be:

alias block-major-58 lvm-mod
post-install block-major-58 /sbin/vgscan && /sbin/vgchange -a y
pre-remove block-major-58 /sbin/vgchange -a n
alias char-major-109 lvm-mod
post-install char-major-109 /sbin/vgscan && /sbin/vgchange -a y
pre-remove char-major-109 /sbin/vgchange -a n

The alias for the block-major-58 and char-major-109 are in most of the
lvm howtos i've seen, and i cant readliy give an explaination. as for
the post-install and pre-remove, I added that because I was having
problems with the default redhat 7.3 init scripts, and to me, editing
/etc/modules.conf was easier than editing the init scripts

now to go correct that file on my server ;-)
~steven