[TriLUG] More POSTFIX questions?

bp bpevans at bellsouth.net
Wed Jan 15 16:49:17 EST 2003

To answer my own questions in case anyone else cares:

bp wrote:

> 1.  In testing out my Postfix install I sent a message to
> bpevans at my-dyndns-pointer.org.  Now I see delivery  failed/deferred
> messages in the log.  How do I flush these messages out of the queue
> to avoid the repeated failures?

Still don't know. But fix your server and they'll be sent. ;-)

> 2.  What is involved in actually getting mail to my linux box from the
> outside world?  It'd be nice to have disposable email address for some
> things, like a bpe3 at my-dns-pointer.org etc.  I imagine I'd have to
> open port 25/tcp to the outside world.  I need a mx record associated
> with my dyndns.org address?  Does dyndns.org do this?

Allow port 25/tcp incoming traffic.  No MX record necessary, SMTP
resolves the IP of  the domain following the @ sign and delievers mail
to that IP.

Setup the mynetworks config in postfix so as not to allow an open relay.

-bp
btw:  Bellsouth DSL appears to have 0 restrictions on port 25 use.