[TriLUG] installing RH via the network

lfwelty lfwelty at redback.com
Thu Jan 16 16:31:36 EST 2003

I've done this. Alot actually, both nfs and ftp - primarily rh systems,
occasionally a mandrake box.

Here's what I would do for NFS. FTP is similar, but you'd obviously setup
ftp vs. nfs.

1) download iso's to server (assuming server's linux)
    a) mount iso w/ loop:
        mount -o loop -t iso9660 <iso>.iso /localdir
    b) copy the disc contents to exportdir
       (I'll use '/home/linux/rh80'):
        mkdir /home/linux/rh80
        cp -R /localdir/* /home/linux/rh80/
    c) unmount current iso.
        umount /localdir
    d) repeat for remaining iso's.

2) set up nfs server (assuming networking is working):
    a) edit /etc/exports (add this line):
        /home/linux/rh80/	(ro,insecure,all_squash)
    b) start portmap:
        service portmap start
    c) start nfs
        service nfs start
    d) verify nfs is up:
        showmount -e

3) NetInstall w/ nfs server: <server>
                         dir: /home/linux/rh80/

Hope I didn't flub any of that. Feel free to call me on it if I did.
I'll check my e-mail a few times tonight if you want to try it and
need help.

Have fun & Watch out for the snow!

F.

gregbrown at mindspring.com wrote:
> Hey all.  My new (old, really) laptop which I want to install RH on had a dead
> CDROM.  So I've got to install via the network.  Luckily it has a floppy drive
> which does work so I can boot from there.  I'd like to do the install locally
> on my network instead of over the Internet.
>
> Is there a process or proceedure which someone has written up on how to take
> the install CDs, place them on a server, then install to a machine over the
> network?  I figure someone must have done this before.  I tried this once a
> long time ago and it didn't work.
>
> Any suggestions would be very helpful.
>
> Greg

> TriLUG Organizational FAQ:

Frank Welty                |  15401 Weston Parkway, Suite 150
lfwelty at redback.com        |  Cary, NC 27513
Redback Networks           |  desk:919.678.2175 m: 919.264.7495