[TriLUG] Making Solaris "feel" like Linux?

Geoff Purdy geoff.purdy at verizon.net
Fri Jan 17 10:37:45 EST 2003

I've been working almost exclusively with Linux at home and
at work for the past two years.  I recently changed jobs and
my new employer is a Solaris shop.  Since I've grown
comfortable with Linux, I'm wondering what I can do to give
Solaris a similar feel.

I don't have root on any of the unix systems at work so I'm
limited in the software I can install (i.e.  I can't install
XFree86 or GNU ls).

An obvious first step was to switch my shell to bash.
Anyone care to share other tips?  Thanks.