[TriLUG] Making Solaris "feel" like Linux?

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Fri Jan 17 12:13:56 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 10:37, Geoff Purdy wrote:
> I've been working almost exclusively with Linux at home and
> at work for the past two years.  I recently changed jobs and
> my new employer is a Solaris shop.  Since I've grown
> comfortable with Linux, I'm wondering what I can do to give
> Solaris a similar feel.
>
> I don't have root on any of the unix systems at work so I'm
> limited in the software I can install (i.e.  I can't install
> XFree86 or GNU ls).
>
> An obvious first step was to switch my shell to bash.
> Anyone care to share other tips?  Thanks.

Well, my first instinct was to tell you to install Linux on that SPARC
hardware (no bias there, *whistle*), but it doesn't sound like that is
an option. Not having root makes it more complicated, and really
prevents the addition of much outside of your own user space, but you
can likely build a lot of OSS applications in your home directory if
you're careful.

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa(a)redhat*com> (SAIR LCA, RHCE)
GPG: D786 8B22 D9DB 1F8B 4AB7  448E 3C5E 99AD 9305 4260
Red Hat Sales Engineer :: http://www.redhat.com
Aurora SPARC Linux Project Leader :: http://www.auroralinux.org

The words and opinions reflected in this message do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer, Red Hat, or my project, Aurora
SPARC Linux and belong solely to me.

Save Firefly! :: http://www.fireflysupport.com/ :: Keep Flying!