[TriLUG] Making Solaris "feel" like Linux?

Reginald Reed reginald at cisco.com
Fri Jan 17 12:33:47 EST 2003

The first thing I'd try to do is become friends with the local sysadmin.
Its very likely that he/she has some standard Gnu stuff squirrel away on
an NFS server for him/herself.  Even if she/he doesn't, they may be open
to providing you some none home directory space to build/install
goodies.  And who knows, once you've proven you know what you are doing,
you might even get root.

If that doesn't work, then hopefully you don't have a restrictive quota
on your home directory space.  In this case, become very familiar with
specifying options on the configure command-line and roll your own.

--Reggie