[TriLUG] Flash player

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Fri Jan 17 14:50:10 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 10:11, Janyne Kizer wrote:
> I am having problems with the Flash player and seeking some suggestions
> for resolving this issue.  I have tried both 5 and 6.  5 was working
> under Netscape 4.78 on RH 7.2 but at some point it stopped and I didn't
> notice until about a month ago.  The libflashplayer.so file is in
> /usr/lib/netscape/plugins right where it is supposed to be.  When 5
> wasn't working I tried 6 but still no dice.  It doesn't show up in About
> -> Plugins and it doesn't work when I go to sites with Flash.  I then
> decided to try under Mozilla 1.2 and Mozilla crashes when either player
> is installed, although Mozilla does say that Flash is installed in About
> -> Plugins.  FWIW, it kinda works under Opera but it is flakey.

I think I read somewhere that the flash player needs to be *symlinked*
rather than copied to the plugins directory.  If you use the RPM version
of the player, it will install the libraries somewhere else, and then
you're supposed to put appropriate symbolic links in the mozilla or
netscape directories.  You might try this and see if that changes the
behavior any.

--Jeremy