[TriLUG] Apt-get for Red Hat and Mandrake problems with it?? from Lockergnome's PenguinShell

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Tue Jan 21 11:50:56 EST 2003

On Tuesday 21 January 2003 10:37 am, Tarus Balog wrote:
> Sinner from the Prairy said:
> > For Mandrake, why go the apt-get way if there's urpmi?

> Do you have a good reference on urpmi? Specifically the server side?

For the server side, you need an ftp/http server, with a synthesis file. A
synthesis file is a "smart list" of available packages on the server for a
given directory.

Some directions on how to set up a server is in this webpage, at the "Mise en
oeuvre" section:
http://lis.snv.jussieu.fr/~rousse/linux/urpmi.html

I know, it's in French. But the perl script that builds the synthesis list has
comments in English.

> We use apt-get to auto-install OpenNMS, and we have apt on RHL 7 and 8,
> and Mandrake 8. We do have a number of Mandrake 9 users, and I would like
> to be able to use urpmi on the opennms.org server.

This would be most excellent.

> -T

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need further help.

Salut,
Sinner
--
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/     Linux User # 89976
Running on Mandrake Linux 9.0 - Kernel  2.4.19smp  Linux Machine # 38068