[TriLUG] Rawhide!

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Jan 21 13:13:09 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-01-21 at 10:20, Kevin Sonney wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 10:12:52AM -0500, Jeff Bollinger spoke thusly:
> > I don't know if any of y'all ever grab downloads from rpmfind.net but
> > out of curiosity, what are the RPMS associated with "Rawhide 1.0"?  Is
> > that a Linux distribution?  If so, why are the RPMS colored the same
> > light green colour as the RedHat RPMS?  Are they compatible?
>
> Rawhide is a semi-regular public snapshot of the Red Hat development
> tree. It may or may not contain working packages, new features, or
> things that will be seen later on in Red Hat releases.
>
> Notice I said "may or may not" - just because you see it in Rawhide
> doesn't mean you will see it in  Red Hat Linux - just that someone was
> interested enough in that package to play with it, evaluate it, and
> whatnot.
>
> I should also extend the "may or may not" qualifier to Rawhide being
> any of the following : installable, buildable, supportable.Use at your
> own risk, YMMV, etc, etc.

To add to what Kevin said, it's my impression that the "1.0" specifier
on rpmfind.net is a bogus number / placeholder.  There is no such thing
as a version to Rawhide.  FYI, the "source" for the RPMfind.net mirror
of rawhide is here:
	ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/

Notice there are no version numbers seen there (except on the packages
themselves).

--Jeremy