[TriLUG] Login not grabbing NIS/passwd diff

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Jan 22 15:51:09 EST 2003

I always thought that when you logged in via NFS then it used that
Authentication source to setup your account specifics (like your home
directory and your shell).  When you logged in via the local file system
then it used those for your account specifics.

The only way I've found to over-ride that in Linux is use use some
scripting in a .login file.  In mine I always look for the existence of
bash and then switch my shell to bash if it exists on the local machine.

If you need help with something like that, let me know.

Jon Carnes