[TriLUG] LDAP questions

Ryan Leathers Ryan.Leathers at globalknowledge.com
Wed Jan 22 16:18:25 EST 2003

Why does one elect to use a given backend over another (ldbm vs bdb for
example)
I am not finding an answer in the docs I'm reading.

I presume that there are differences between them and am wondering what
sort of gotchas there might be by neglecting to consider this point.

This morning I decided to try out samba-tng.  I got the latest "stable"
rpm from openldap.org and put it on a fresh RH8 box.  As I was messing
with the slapd.conf and running ./slapd -d 3, I noticed that ldbm
wouldn't start up.  On a whim I changed slapd.conf to use bdb and then
slapd started right up - but ignored my index lines.  See one of the
slapd's I tried this morning:

include /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/nis.schema
# include /usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.at.conf
include /usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.oc.conf
include /usr/local/etc/openldap/sambatng.schema-v3
schemacheck     on

pidfile         /usr/local/var/slapd.pid
argsfile        /usr/local/var/slapd.args

index           cn
index           sn                                      pres,sub,eq
index           uid,rid,objectclass,ntuid,grouprid      eq
index           default         sub

defaultaccess   read
access  to dn="dc=remotelabs,dc=com"
        by dn="uid=root,dc=remotelabs,dc=com"         write
        by self         write
        by *            read

access to attrs=userpassword,lmpassword,ntpassword
        by self write
        by dn="cn=root,dc=remotelabs,dc=com" write
        by * none

database        bdb
suffix          "dc=remotelabs,dc=com"
rootdn          "uid=root,dc=remotelabs,dc=com"
rootpw          ********
directory       /usr/local/var/openldap-data