[TriLUG] Large fast hard disks

John Franklin franklin at elfie.org
Thu Jan 23 13:48:37 EST 2003

On Thursday, Jan 23, 2003, at 13:29 US/Eastern, Mike M wrote:

> I know some of you have experience with large fast hard disk
> configurations
> in Linux.  Can anyone comment on what sort of arrangement would be
> able to
> absorb a constant 2.048 Mb/s data stream?  The interest primarily is in
> performance.  Is it safe to assume that the period of absorbtion is a
> function of disk size only?

Only two megs a second?  Anything reasonably modern (read: P2 and
ATA/66) should be able to handle that.

Period of absorption?  If by that you mean "sustainable throughput",
then no, disk size has almost nothing to do with it.  Bus speed, bus
type, percent disk full, number of drives (if RAIDed), available buffer
memory and filesystem behavior all contribute.

jf
--
John Franklin
franklin at elfie.org