[TriLUG] VMware question

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Jan 23 14:02:29 EST 2003

Just to add another data point.  VMware works fine at isolating the
virtual machine.  All the communications between apps running on the
Virtual OS and your Linux OS take place over a network connection.

For a virus to spread from the Win2k VM to your Linux OS it would have
to cross over the internet connection and then be able to run on Linux.
That's a rare beast, and as far as I know none exist yet (thought there
are a few virusii that can cross-over and run in both environments,
their only vector for infection is on the Windows side).

You can install VMware and run Win2K without fear. If you are still
worried, then simply install a Virus Protection program on the Win2k
install.