[TriLUG] VMware question

Ryan Leathers Ryan.Leathers at globalknowledge.com
Thu Jan 23 14:14:03 EST 2003

You get a lot of choices when configuring VMWare.  You have correctly
characterized one of these options.
If you want to have access to Wn2k data from the Linux host then you
need to set VMWare up using the RAW option.
If you are satisfied to share data using the virtual network -
ftp,scp,samba and so on then you can use the VMDK option.
In my experience VMDK is a better choice.
You can select from:
Persistent mode - changes to the virtual machine are saved in real time
Non-persistent mode - changes are made to a file and discarded when the
VM is powered off
Undo mode - you get the choice at power-off time to save changes or not

I like the suspend feature best of all.  The very first time you use
this it takes about a minute to run, but subsequent actions are fast.
On my system I can start Win2k in about 5 seconds - running apps - fully
functioning right where I left off at the last suspend time.
This is really nice if you just want to pop in and check an outlook
appointment or some such thing.

On occasion Win2k does crash - even when running as a VM on Linux.  I
have never had to do anything more than restart the VM.  VMWare has
never crapped out in other words - only the individual VM.  The only
other advice I have for you is:
1. get a good solid NIC
2. be sure to set your VM to sync clocks with the host machine -
otherwise you will be in a world of hurt with things like DHCP after a
suspend.

Ryan