[TriLUG] VMware question

David A. Cafaro dac at cafaro.net
Thu Jan 23 16:43:55 EST 2003

Hello Greg,

On Thu, 2003-01-23 at 13:25, Greg Brown wrote:
> Hey all.  My question is does anyone use VMware to create a virtual Win2k
> machine running under Linux (in my case RH 8.0)?  I know this is what the
> software is supposed to do, but does anyone actually use it?

I run Win2K in VMware running under a RedHat 8.0 host.  The Win2K
virtual machine is a member of a windows domain (and just to make it
interesting the Primary Domain Controller is Samba on a Linux Server),
and works no problem.  I use it mostly for Dream Weaver UltraDev stuff,
and to make sure that changes to the network work the way they should
for the Windows users.  I would recommend getting as much memory as
possible (I personally run 1gig on my laptop giving the Windows instance
512MB to work with).

> That question aside, my other related question is what happens when/if Win2k
> gets hit by some kind of bomb while running under Linux via VMware?
> Hopefully just the directory where Win2k is located gets trashed, right?  I
> imagine this to be the case and I hope that when running under VMware the
> "virtual" Win2k thinks that the it's disk is just what is contained in the
> Linux directory where it is installed.

Just a file on a disk like others have mentioned.  But remember this is
windows, so I run a virus scanner in the virtual machine to be safe.
Though the viruses/trojans are pretty much isolated from messing with
the Linux stuff, I don't like the idea of having to repair my windows
virtual machine all the time.  Better safe than sorry.

-David