[TriLUG] VMware question

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu Jan 23 14:22:27 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-23 at 11:34, Jim Ray wrote:
> as soon as i get $300 extra, i'm going to tinker with vmware.  from what i hear, it is the slam.

Be forewarned:

VMWare works great *if* (and only if) your video chipset is supported.
I have a ThinkPad A22p (with an ATI Rage Mobility 128 chipset) and I can
only use Windows (have tried both 2K and XP) on VMWare in a 640x480
screen mode.  Trying to use VMWare's Windows screen driver at any other
resolution causes severe screen corruption.  And yes, 640x480 is
basically unusable for PowerPoint and many other programs which were the
reason that I wanted VMWare in the first place.  I've given up on VMWare
since the folks there completely ignored my detailed bug reports.  Can
you say lousy customer support?

Instead, I've given CodeWeaver's Crossover Office:

  http://www.codeweavers.com/products/office/

a try.  With Office2K I've found that its a bit slower for some tasks
than running on most Windows versions but it *DOES WORK* quite nicely.
I've recently edited Word and PowerPoint files with embedded Excel
spreadsheets and had no problems.

Oh, and Crossover Office is only $55 while VMWare is about $300.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/hill.htm
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phones:  303-384-2094, 303-273-3483