[TriLUG] Login not grabbing NIS/passwd diff

Mike Shaw mdshaw89 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 24 08:56:30 EST 2003

Jon Carnes <jonc at nc.rr.com> wrote:
>I always thought that when you logged in via NFS then
>it used that Authentication source to setup your
>account specifics (like your home directory and your
>shell).  When you logged in via the local file system
>then it used those for your account specifics.

NIS does allow for you to make modifications to how
someone logs in(or at least it has allowed me to in
the past!).  I should be able to modify any of the
fields in my local passwd file and as long as I have a
"+" as the first entry then whatever I DON'T specify
then it should get that field from NIS.  This
allows(and has in the past at a different place)
allowed me to have specified a "supported shell"
globally and bash locally.

>The only way I've found to over-ride that in Linux is
>use use some scripting in a .login file.  In mine I
>always look for the existence of bash and then switch
>my shell to bash if it exists on the local machine.

This is the first time I've had to do this since
Debian 2.2 or RH7.2 but what I described should work.
My only thought is that the NIS master is running
Solaris 5.5 and the version of NIS it has could be
causing me problems.

>If you need help with something like that, let me
>know.

Yes!  I would very much like to see your work-around.

Thanks,

Mike

=====
---