[TriLUG] Problems with /etc/mtab

Janyne Kizer janyne_kizer at ncsu.edu
Fri Jan 24 12:51:46 EST 2003

I was wondering what would cause /etc/mtab to report that one device
(floppy) is mounted twice?  This has happened on one of our systems and
I was just wondering what on earth caused this.  Could this be caused by
trying to mount and bad floppy?

Thsi is part of the file in question

/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=userid1 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=userid2 0 0

/proc/mounts lists the device once:

/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy vfat rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0

One of the people who uses that system has reported the following error
message:

umount: it seems /floppy is mounted multiple times

Any ideas?  Inquiring minds want to know :-)

--

Janyne Kizer
Systems Programmer Administrator