[TriLUG] Problems with /etc/mtab

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Fri Jan 24 13:31:50 EST 2003

On Friday 24 January 2003 12:51 pm, Janyne Kizer wrote:
> I was wondering what would cause /etc/mtab to report that one device
> (floppy) is mounted twice?  This has happened on one of our systems and
> I was just wondering what on earth caused this.  Could this be caused by
> trying to mount and bad floppy?

> One of the people who uses that system has reported the following error
> message:

> umount: it seems /floppy is mounted multiple times

> Any ideas?  Inquiring minds want to know :-)

AFAIK, /etc/mtab is a "file" that gets auto-generated. The contents are the
table of current mounted filesystems.

man mount

It's good to know what is going on.

Also, umount is showing you why: you've tried to mount the device twice.
Umount it, twice, as root.

Salut,
Sinner
--
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/     Linux User # 89976
Running on Mandrake Linux 9.0 - Kernel  2.4.19smp  Linux Machine # 38068