[TriLUG] VMware question

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri Jan 24 16:03:26 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 10:57, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 12:35, Jon Carnes wrote:
> > Curiosity... Cross-over office is based on WINE, so part is missing from
> > WINE that keeps it from running Office (but Cross-over has)?
>
> As far as I know, Codeweavers has contributed all their modifications
> back into the regular wine (unlike some other companies that sell
> wine(x) software).  The only thing proprietary is their program
> that makes it easy to install windows programs and setup associations
> between the installed windows programs and
> kde/gnome/mozilla/netscape/etc...

AFAIK, Tanner's description is on-target.  They're basically selling the
installer.

And its amusing to watch, too.  When Office2K gets to the "its now time
to reboot your system" stage, the Crossover installer intercepts the
message and says something to the effect that, since you're using Wine
on Linux, theres no need to reboot.  ;-)

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/hill.htm
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phones:  303-384-2094, 303-273-3483