[TriLUG] Making Solaris "feel" like Linux?

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Sun Jan 26 15:39:13 EST 2003

I would suggest you get a copy of Solaris for Intel and use it at home for
a while to get the comfort. I have it working on a Toshiba laptop and it
works fine. Also, there is a guide to Unix Systems and a System
Administrators guide that I'll try and remember to send to the list on
Monday When I get back to the shop.

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Scott Chilcote wrote:

> Geoff Purdy wrote:
> > I've been working almost exclusively with Linux at home and
> > at work for the past two years.  I recently changed jobs and
> > my new employer is a Solaris shop.  Since I've grown
> > comfortable with Linux, I'm wondering what I can do to give
> > Solaris a similar feel.
> >
> > I don't have root on any of the unix systems at work so I'm
> > limited in the software I can install (i.e.  I can't install
> > XFree86 or GNU ls).
> >
> > An obvious first step was to switch my shell to bash.
> > Anyone care to share other tips?  Thanks.
>
> Hi Geoff,
>
> You're really only limited by the disk space you have in your home
> directory.  I used a Solaris system up until 2000 and was able to build
> a lot of the applications I normally use in Linux.
>
> Although you can download these tools directly from gnu.org, Sun also
> has a freeware tools site:
>
>     http://www.sunfreeware.com/
>
> You can build a lot of the GNU tools in your home directory.  During the
> configuration step, just use
>
>     ./configure --prefix=$HOME
>
> Or if you prefer, a common subdirectory.
>
> I strongly recommend installing GCC for building the GNU tools.  The
> stock C compiler on the Solaris versions I used (up to 2.7) was just
> sufficient to compile the kernel and not much else.  A binary version of
> GCC (such as from sunfreeware) is a good start, but I recommend just
> using it to build your own GCC.  Search for "bootstrap" in "info gcc".
>
> I was able to build Enlightenment and quite a bit of Gnome under Solaris
> 2.6.  The great shortcoming was the number of available colors, which
> was pegged at 256 on the hardware I had.  It was still running Solaris
> underneath.  I don't know which I enjoyed more; having a much improved
> development system, or the sighs I used to get from the sysadmins who
> happened to look in my cube  ;-)
>
> If you plan to use the GNU tools for development on Solaris, there are
> some more issues that need to be resolved.  Let me know if this is the case.
>
> Best of luck.
>
>       Scott C.

> TriLUG Organizational FAQ:

Roy Vestal