[TriLUG] Making Solaris "feel" like Linux?

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Sun Jan 26 15:45:18 EST 2003

As for compiling under Solaris, your machine should have the gcc compiler.
If it doesn't, you can use jeremy's suggestion of ./configure
--prefix=$HOME and install GCC from www.sunfreeware.com.

The compilation process should be the same as under linux: configure then
make then make install (depending on the program.).

HTH

The install went very smoothly and the instructions are very good (Hey,
I was able to follow them and I'm fairly newbie still).

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Geoff Purdy wrote:

> Thanks for all your suggestions.  I'm very glad to hear that all of my Linux / GNU favorites should run under Solaris.
>
> The upshot is that my home directory doesn't have a
> quota.
>
> The (near term) downside is that I'll have to gain a better
> understanding of the compilation process since I can no
> longer "cheat" and RPM install any missing dependencies.
> Should be a good learning experience.
>
> Thanks again.

> TriLUG Organizational FAQ:

Roy Vestal