[TriLUG] Problems with /etc/mtab

Corey Mutter mutterc at nc.rr.com
Sun Jan 26 18:08:03 EST 2003

> I was wondering what would cause /etc/mtab to report that one device
> (floppy) is mounted twice?  This has happened on one of our systems and
> I was just wondering what on earth caused this.  Could this be caused by
> trying to mount and bad floppy?
>
> Thsi is part of the file in question
>
> /dev/fd0 /floppy vfat rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=userid1 0 0
> /dev/fd0 /floppy vfat rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=userid2 0 0

I recently went through building a Linux From Scratch system
(www.linuxfromscratch.org), and they recommend making /etc/mtab a
symbolic link to /proc/mounts, to avoid this very type of problem
(stale info hanging around in /etc/mtab).

It also helps when you're building a system image to run from CDROM
(as I was).

Corey