[TriLUG] free (or very cheap) nonprofit web hosting?

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 28 10:55:52 EST 2003

On Tuesday 28 January 2003 10:00, Tarus Balog wrote:
> Andrew Perrin said:
> > Anybody got a lead? I'm putting together a web site for my son's
> > preschool, which is a nonprofit/cooperative
> > (read: cash-strapped) organization.
>
> The most amazing deal I know of is at serverbeach.com. You get a dedicated
> Linux server, 60GB of disk, 400GB of bandwidth for $99/month.
>
> Prolly out of your price range, but for anyone look for cheap hosting,
> this is the way to go.
>
> -T

What do you think about a co-lo (http://www.inforelay.com/colocation.html) of
$29/month?  Boxes are incredibly cheap.  You get to do whatever you want and
put in as much performance as you need.  If you are hacked, the only risk is
the box and not your network.  What's the downside to this approach?

The freezope thingy is cool.  I'm going to check them out.

I was wondering about low cost hosting as well.  I am fearful of using my own
LAN as a public site.  I don't have enough security experience to do that.
Chances are that when I finally get enough experience, I still wouldn't do it.
--
Mike M.