[TriLUG] Pre-installation on Sun Ultra 2

Geoff Purdy geoff.purdy at verizon.net
Wed Jan 29 10:02:15 EST 2003

Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:02:15 -0500

I mentioned in another thread that I was preparing to
install Linux/SPARC and Solaris on an older Sun Ultra
Enterprise 2.  Unfortunately, I'm having some hardware
issues before I even begin the installation process.

I know some TriLUGgers have a lot of experience with Sun
hardware and I was hoping someone could give me advice on
whether this system is worth keeping or if I should send it
back and look for another.  I'd feel really foolish
returning this box to the vendor if I have just overlooked
some small detail.

My understanding from googling is that I have two display
1) Standard video output from the system's graphics card.
2) Serial output from serial port "A"

In order to get a standard video display, I connected the
keyboard and mouse andhooked up a new VGA monitor via a Sun
(13W3) to VGA adapter.  However, when I power the system on
the monitor just remains in stand-by and displays no signal.

So, I tried option two - serial display.  To accomplish this
I removed the monitor, keyboard and mouse connections;
plugged a 25 pin to 9 pin null modem cable from serial port
A to the serial port on my Linux laptop.  I powered the UE2
on and attempted to connect via minicom using the serial
port settings 9600 8N1 (per Sun docs).  Still nothing.

I believe the system should P.O.S.T. (Power On Self-Test)
even though there is no OS installed.  From what I've read,
the next troubleshooting step would be to buy and install a
new Open Boot PROM chip.

Also worth mentioning is that this box wouldn't power on at
all when I first got it.  The cooling fan would give a quick
flutter and that was all.  I pulled all of the RAM and
re-seated it and then the machine would at least power up -
but still no display output.

So, what would you Sun gurus suggest as a next step?

Thanks.