[TriLUG] /lost+found

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Jan 29 11:24:13 EST 2003

The file fragments in /lost+found are from files that have lost or
corrupted inode information.  Fsck found them as files but without the
inode information it doesn't know what directory to associate them with,
so it associates them with /lost+found.

It's very rare these days to find anything in /lost+found, unless you've
had a major crash.  Even then most of what you'll find in there are temp
files.  If your hard drive is slowly dieing then you will see files
becoming corrupt and you will also see files popping up in /lost+found
as inodes become corrupt.

In your situation I wouldn't worry too much.  Scan through the files and
then delete them.

HtH - Jon Carnes