[TriLUG] telocity->directvdsl->bellsouth

Mark Kempster mark at kempster.org
Wed Jan 29 12:24:52 EST 2003

> I must be the only one who went to Bellsouth.

Not the only one. And not the only one with misgivings...

> The Westell modem from bell south lets you configure
> NAT and port forwarding.

For what it's worth, I went through somme minor hair-pulling getting
my linksys router/wireless gizmo to work correctly with the westell.

With the old telocity one, it was just plug & surf. Silly me, thinking
I could swap modems! With the westell, google told me to choose between

    (1) set the modem to do pass through (can't remember the real term)
        and do pppoe on the linksys
    (2) change the internal IP addresses of the linksys (and the internal
        network) off of 192.168.1.x

Something about the westell being 192.168.1.254 and the linksys not
liking 192.168.1.x on both the LAN and WAN side of things. I ended up
going with option 1, but would love to hear of other options I missed.

I find myself poking the reset buttons on both the modem and linksys
far more often than with telocity.

> I am not sure at the moment how the dynamic DNS software or script will
> determine the changing of the IP address on the outside of the modem.

I'm trying out dyndns.org, and so far the manual method of browsing
to the account setup page detects the updated IP address. They've got
a list of 'approved' software to periodically do the check for you;
I think I saw also saw a debian package for something along those lines.

Rumor has it there are some router/wireless doodads that have support
for some of the dynamic dns services and will do the ip magic. Anybody
have one of those gems? Any opinions?

Cheers
- Mark