[TriLUG] installing JDK1.4.0_03 on SUSE 8.0

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Jan 30 10:59:22 EST 2003

Delete the files from the old version
  rm -rf /usr/local/javadir_that_is_the_old_version

Change your Environment variables so that they point to the new install.
This can be tricky depending on where the environment variables were
added; in general you can simply grep for the old values:
  grep "old java env variable" /etc/*

I like to setup a generic Java directory link and then use that for my
environment variables.  That way I can download a new SDK and then
simply point my symbolic link at the new directory and suddenly I'm
using the new SDK.

You can create a symbolic link by:
  ln -s /usr/local/my_current_javadir /usr/local/javadir

This creates /usr/local/javadir.  When I cd to /usr/local/javadir I
actually end up in /usr/local/my_current_javadir.

Hope that wasn't too basic!  Take care - Jon