[TriLUG] BIND and redhat-config-bind questions

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Fri Jan 31 15:38:58 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 15:14, Ryan Leathers wrote:
> I am looking for a way to let my VI impaired co-workers easily modify
> DNS records.
> For the most part they only need to add and remove individual host
> records.
> It looks to me like the gui Redhat-config-bind tool might be the ticket.
>
> Questions:
> For those of you who use this tool regularly - any gotchas ?
> I assume you don't have to stop and start the named service every time
> you make a change with this tool
> Do you need to use this tool exclusively ?  I read a doc that warned not
> to edit named.conf by hand when using Redhat-bind-tool.
> With a running BIND can you simply install the tool rpm and start using
> it or do you need to rebuild your zones using the tool ?

Hi Ryan,

I have not used this tool myself, but many of your questions are
answered here in Red Hat's documentation:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/custom-guide/ch-bindconf.html

You do need to use the tool exclusively (same rule applies to the
redhat-config-httpd tool for Apache).

--Jeremy