[TriLUG] PIX 501 questions

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sat Feb 1 11:00:06 EST 2003

No. I'm sure that whoever does your equipment ordering (or whatever
vendor you purchase from) is buying a supped-up version of the PIX 501.

If you follow the link I gave earlier in this thread you will see that
the encryption necessary to run the VPN is clearly sold as an "add-on"
license.

===
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/fw/sqfw500/prodlit/px501_ds.htm

Software Licenses

 10-User License

 The Cisco PIX 501 Firewall 10-user license supports up to 10 concurrent
source IP addresses from your internal network to traverse through the
PIX 501. The integrated DHCP server supports up to 32 DHCP leases.

 50-User License

 The Cisco PIX 501 Firewall 50-user license supports up to 50 concurrent
source IP addresses from your internal network to traverse through the
PIX 501. The integrated DHCP server supports up to 128 DHCP leases. As
your needs grow, a 10-to-50 user upgrade license is also available,
which allows you to extend your investment in PIX 501 equipment.

 3DES and DES Licenses

 The PIX 501 has two optional encryption licenses (168-bit 3DES and
56-bit DES) available either at the time of ordering the appliance, or
as an upgrade that can be purchased later. Note that US export
restrictions may apply to these licenses.

===

"Technically" it is built into the system.  You just can't use it
without first paying Cisco an exurbanite Licensing fee...

Jon Carnes