[TriLUG] any other webloggers here?

Larry Karnowski larry at oculan.com
Mon Feb 3 09:40:32 EST 2003

I write a weblog (a bit behind on it right now since work is so busy)
about twangy, alt-country, Bluegrass music (http://www.hickorywind.org)
in the NC, TN, and VA area.    <Insert Mike Johnson joke here.>

I use Movable Type, and strongly recommend it's use.  I know it's not
fully open source which is a big drawback, but I'm pretty sure there are
versions available with the Artistic License (Perl's license).  That's
what they were saying at OSCON 2002 anyway.

The couple who wrote the software, Ben and Mena Trott, are good people
who got laid off during the dot-com burst, and are just trying to make a
living.  They admitted openly that they want desperately to fully open
the source but weren't sure how they could continue to support
themselves if they did.  (There was a *LOT* of discussion about this at
OSCON 2002, so I don't want to get into it again.)  I'd rather it be
open, but use it anyway.

Movable Type gives you more control over your setup, which I know on
this mailing list is pretty important.  And the "trackback" feature,
which to be honest, you have to be a blogger to really understand, is
really, really cool.  It basically let's two or more bloggers "talk to
each other" through related posts.  Damn, that really doesn't do it
justice.  Anyway...

What was the rtpblogger lunch?  Is there a mailing list or website?

Thanks,
Larry