[TriLUG] installing MySQL on SUSE 8.0

Mike Kelley ncmike at nc.rr.com
Tue Feb 4 09:59:29 EST 2003

I'm trying to install MySQL 3.23.55 on SUSE 8.0
I installed the RPMs with no problem however when I run the mysql_install_db it reminds me to set the password for root as:

mysqladmin -u root password 'newpassword'
mysqladmin -u root -h Linux1 password 'newpassword'

The first statement worked fine, however, when I run the second statement it returns the following (I ran both statements as root):

Linux1:/usr/bin # mysqladmin -u root -h Linux1 password mypassword
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'Linux1' failed
error: 'Host "Linux1.local' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server'
Linux1:/usr/bin #

can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it.

Thanks,

Mike