[TriLUG] Red Hat's 12 month policy

Greg gregbrown at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 4 18:01:23 EST 2003

Hey all.  I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on Red Hat's new 12
months of support policy for on customer OSes (i.e. not RH Advanced
Server installations).

As far as I can tell the end of Errata support for RH 8.0, 7.3, 7.2, and
7.1 is December 13, 2003.  EOL support for 7.0 and 6.2 seems to be March
31, 2002.

I understand that a company can't support one of it's OSes forever but
12 months seems like a tight schedule for new releases.  In production
environments it's hard enough to stay current with new releases but with
on 12 months of support I can see some real issues with having a
production machine with no support.

So, in the end, I'm just trolling for opinions on this out of curiosity.

Greg

RH's errata page
<"https://www.redhat.com/apps/support/errata/">

The article on The Register