[TriLUG] Red Hat's 12 month policy

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Tue Feb 4 17:58:32 EST 2003

> Hey all.  I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on Red Hat's new
> 12 months of support policy for on customer OSes (i.e. not RH Advanced
> Server installations).

Of course I do.  I always do.  I was just talking about it with my
friendly neighborhood Red Hat account rep last week, along with one of
RH's engineers (that we all know & love).
> So, in the end, I'm just trolling for opinions on this out of
> curiosity.

I was worried about it until RH pointed out to me a link (that wasn't very
well populated yet) pre-announcing their Advanced Workstation product.
Corporate desktops can run the AW product and have a really long product
life cycle, much like AS customers currently enjoy.  Folks who want to run
the consumer OS's will be stuck with the 1 year until EOL.  Depending on
the pricing for AW, I can probably live with that.
Before I knew about AW, I was pretty uneasy about deploying RH on desktops
at work.  Now I'm in the "wait & see" mode.