[TriLUG] RH 8.0 and kernel 2.4.20

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Feb 6 09:59:56 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-02-05 at 22:10, Greg wrote:
> I think my kernel is working!!  This e-mail is being sent after a boot
> from 2.4.20.  There is one thing that is bothering me, though.  I still
> get an error on boot-up regarding the USB (and the USB works - my USB
> mouse works fine).
>
> Anyway, when the machine boots up I get the following error:
>
> Initializing USB HID modprobe USD HID can't locate module HID [failed]
>
> Yet the USB works.  Like I said, my mouse is working fine.  I can't
> quite figure out just why this error is hanging around if my mouse is
> working.
>
> Anyway, until I figure it out I'm still going to use 2.4.18-14.
>
> Any ideas?

I should have caught this earlier (I actually realized it over dinner
last night).

Red Hat Linux 8.0, like most sane Linux distributions, uses rc.* scripts
to start the system after init is kicked off. The rc.sysinit script
assumes that all the USB devices are modular, and loads them manually
(since they don't get put into the initrd).

But you built them in. So that's going to fail. Modprobe is what is
giving you the can't locate module HID error. Either edit
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, or just ignore it. ;)

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa(a)redhat*com> (SAIR LCA, RHCE)
GPG: D786 8B22 D9DB 1F8B 4AB7  448E 3C5E 99AD 9305 4260
Red Hat Field Sales Engineer :: http://www.redhat.com
Aurora SPARC Linux Project Leader :: http://www.auroralinux.org

The words and opinions reflected in this message do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer, Red Hat, or my project, Aurora
SPARC Linux and belong solely to me.