[TriLUG] rpm problems on RH80?

lfwelty lfwelty at redback.com
Thu Feb 6 10:21:47 EST 2003

Anyone noticed flakiness w/ rpm on rh80?

Long story short: reinstall rh80 system's choking HARD on the
rpm nightly cron (freezing the system at 04:02EST) and inconsistent
rpm queries/updates/installs (often fail, sometimes work).

Long story long:
I upgraded one of my boxes w/ a new 80G HD over the weekend
(which turned into a required PS upgrade - as in I keeeelled
the old one dead; which turned into a hey, as long as I'm
buying a new ps and I've got a new hdd, Let's buy a higher
end CPU too!).

So, install new hw. Boots nicely in old rh72 config. But its
not using the HDD space as I'd like to, so I install rh80;
move my old home partition off my old 40G hdd and onto my
spanking new 80G hdd. Everything looks nice. But not the
partition scheme I want. So reinstall rh80 w/ the partition
scheme I want preserving my /home data on the new hdd. The
install went ok. Nothing of interest to note (except that I
did the install over a couple of nights). However, after
installing and upgrading alot of rpms from freshrpms I started
seeing rpm wankerness. (queries would take FOREVER to respond
or not work at all w/o a reboot.) I discounted it as the usual
flakiness that occurs when I'm around computers. However, when
I rebuilt the xv rpm from long, long ago and went to install it;
rpm installed it but never returned to me. (I had to kill the
process after leaving it up all night. - xv was installed and
usable, but rpm -q xv said it wasn't installed.) Reboot.
That night the rpm cron job hung the system. Hard Reboot.
Everything comes up nice. execute and 'rpm -qa' - nuthin.
rpm never responds. It ended up hanging my box again after
the third try. I powered it down in disgust.

I've installed rh80 on my laptop and added similar rpms from
freshrpm w/o problems. I don't know if I've just had a bad
install? Would a reinstall fix things?

Frank Welty                |  15401 Weston Parkway, Suite 150
lfwelty at redback.com        |  Cary, NC 27513
Redback Networks           |  desk:919.678.2175 m: 919.264.7495