Linux without init (was Re: [TriLUG] RH 8.0 and kernel 2.4.20)

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Feb 6 10:59:29 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 10:49, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 09:59, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
>
> > Red Hat Linux 8.0, like most sane Linux distributions, uses rc.* scripts
> > to start the system after init is kicked off. The rc.sysinit script
> > assumes that all the USB devices are modular, and loads them manually
> > (since they don't get put into the initrd).
>
> That begs an interesting question.  Are there any linux distributions
> out there that do *not* use rc.* scripts to start the system after
> init is kicked off.  If there are, why did they make the choice they
> did?

I can't name any off hand, but theres no reason that they'd have to use
SYSV style init scripts, besides LSB compliance. The kernel runs "init"
when its done loading, for the Red Hat installer, init is a symlink to
anaconda, so init could be anything. You can even specify init to be
anything at the command line (init=/bin/bash is a common example).

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa(a)redhat*com> (SAIR LCA, RHCE)
GPG: D786 8B22 D9DB 1F8B 4AB7  448E 3C5E 99AD 9305 4260
Red Hat Field Sales Engineer :: http://www.redhat.com
Aurora SPARC Linux Project Leader :: http://www.auroralinux.org

The words and opinions reflected in this message do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer, Red Hat, or my project, Aurora
SPARC Linux and belong solely to me.