[TriLUG] No books for SuSE

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 7 09:39:36 EST 2003

On Friday 07 February 2003 08:45, Ron Joffe wrote:

+1

>  Linux in a Nutshell, 3rd Edition
>  Running Linux, 4th Edition
>
> Those O'reilly books should be generic enough to provide you with a very
> good working knowledge of most of the systems.
>
> In addition SuSE has an excellent mailing list at : HTTP://lists.suse.com.
> The SuSE-linux-e mailing list is the one you want, but be warned there is a
> whole bunch of traffic on the mailing list. Somewhere on the order of 150
> per day.

This method has helped me with RH, Mandrake, and Debian.  Distros differ by
installation (pretty graphic), initialization (2 basic methods), and package
management methods (rpm or apt).  Most everything else they offer is common
between them.  Stuff that is different is esoteric and probably not in the
distro specific manual.

If your mail client allows it, send all email from the high volume group to a
separate folder that is organized by subject ot thread ti visually control
the signal to noise ratio.

Googling is powerful resource as well.  Got something funny displayed on the
screen?  Type it in to Google with the word "Linux"  and more often than not
you'll not be the first person having seen that display.

It's a positive experience to research a problem to exhaustion, formulate a
simple question, and engage the community in its solution.  In addition you
help build the knowledge base accessible through Google (or your choice of
search engine).
--
Mike M.