[TriLUG] Recording Eric Raymond's Talk(s)

Jeff Jackowski jeffj1 at hiwaay.net
Fri Feb 7 16:15:11 EST 2003

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Chris Hedemark wrote:

>On Friday, February 7, 2003, at 03:41 PM, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
>
>> Actually, I was planning on recording in LP mode, which gives 90
>> minutes.  Is there any reason I shouldn't do that?
>
>Yes, actually.  You're reducing the overall quality of your picture
>when you do that.  On your average TV set it won't make much
>difference, but on a higher end TV or monitor it will be noticeable
>(especially when spliced in with footage from other cameras).
>Everything should look as uniform as possible.  As long as the
>resolution is similar between all of the cameras, I can go a long way
>towards improving uniformity via color correction.  But the somewhat
>degraded picture of LP footage is lost forever.

For LP mode, the tape is run slower, but the data format is the same. The
only degradation will be an increased error rate, which still won't happen
often, but it will happen maybe 2 to 5 times per tape. The rest of the
time it'll look the same as SP mode. Just have that playback problem to
work around.

--
Jeff Jackowski
        http://ro.com/~jeffj/