[TriLUG] Recording Eric Raymond's Talk(s)

Jeff Jackowski jeffj1 at hiwaay.net
Fri Feb 7 16:23:47 EST 2003

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Chris Hedemark wrote:

>On Friday, February 7, 2003, at 03:14 PM, Merle Watts wrote:
>
>> I have a dvd burner if needed to burn to a dvd.  Just send me the
>> tapes.
>> vhs or mini dv
>
>Cool, this is shaping up well.

Yea, I mention recording it and putting it on DVD, and now I don't even
have to show up for it to happen. Strange.

>If people send MiniDV *copies* to me (please, folks, do keep your
>originals safe), I can edit it down to a one hour MiniDV tape.  I send
>that tape to someone like you, Merle, where it can be mastered to DVD.
>Additionally I export to MPEG or other codec and upload to
>http://trilug.org (if the server can handle it, and I think it can) so
>people can watch it via the web in lower bitrate format.

I don't know about other people, but I don't think I can copy a tape
without borrowing a camcorder.

Also, it came to my attention on a video related board a while back that
Sony and Panasonic made miniDV tapes use different lubercants, and that
using both type of tapes (at least Panasonic's are available under various
brand names) in one camcorder will make sticky globs. Very bad.

Anyone here use both kinds of tapes? I've stuck to the Panasonic brand
because I can get JVC branded 60 minute tapes cheap, and the 80 minute
ones are good.

Also, I have 5 Panasonic professional grade 60 minute tapes. I figured
they might have fewer data errors when used.

--
Jeff Jackowski
        http://ro.com/~jeffj/