[TriLUG] OT: USA Patriot Act II

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 9 08:31:34 EST 2003

On Sunday 09 February 2003 01:54, Greg wrote:
> Phillip:
>
> Thanks for pointing out the new bill in Congress,

This is not a bill in congress yet.  It is something that the DOJ is
preparing to inject at some opportune time in the future.  It's been
suggested that this will get injected into Congress when the next terrorist
event occurs and the public is scared into tossing out the Bill of Rights.
None of us has lived without the BoR so getting rid of it to preserve our way
of life is no big deal, right?

What is worse, to die at the hand of a terrorist or to disappear into a legal
system?  Both give me a sense of terror.  Knowing that the CIA, FBI, and DOJ
might be monitoring what I say on this list definitely spooks me.

I wonder what the DoJ thinks about Open Source?  Do you think they have a
list of all participants in OS lists?

> and as
> died-in-the-wool republican even I have problems with some the things
> that Team Bush is trying to push through Congress.

This died-in-the-wool independent is finding more questions than answers.
--
Mike M.