[TriLUG] New Samba TNG release

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Tue Feb 11 16:07:34 EST 2003

 Tanner Lovelacemumbled something like:
> Don't let the name fool you either, this is a
> fork of the original
> Samba.  That's not to say it's better or worse, just that you
> should evaluate all your options.

FYI, I have had success with Samba-TNG in LDAP environments.  The
mainstream Samba branch is, understandably, very conservative about
rolling in new features that might break existing implementations when
upgrading.  Samba TNG seems to place a higher priority on rolling in new
features than being upgrade-safe.
And I agree, don't let the version number throw you off.  Check it out.
See if the feature set better meshes with your needs or not.