[TriLUG] RedHat achieves Defense Dept. Certification!

Frank Hale frankhale at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 11 21:42:37 EST 2003

> Ah... yes... my plan to have Linux installed across
> the Dept. of Defense
> is coming together.  I'll be putting this tid-bit of
> information in the
> front of my often-used "bag of facts".
>
> Excellent.  Excellent indeed.
>
> Thanks for sending that along.

w00 lets all celebrate... But Lets get real. I've been
in the US ARMY for almost 7 years and a linux advocate
for 5, I can assure you from what I've seen that there
is definitely no plans in place to move Linux in and
Windows out. While there might be a linux box here and
there and I'm speculating because I've seen none,
Microsoft Windows 2000 is the OS of choice and
something that my organization just upgraded to and is
still upgrading to. For my organization and I'd rather
leave its name out of this discussion Linux is
definitely *not* an approved operating system for any
network unclassified or classified. If a computer
doesn't have NT 4 or 2000 then you can forget it.

Just to set the record straight and to get these
butterfly feelings in everybodies stomach to go away.
Linux will have a long hard fight to make it into the
at least my organization even if it has DOD
certification.

Trust me I'd love to throw the 2000 boxes out the
window and reinstall with Redhat linux but I'm telling
you that will not happen for many years to come.

=====
code: http://sapphire.sf.net , http://aewmpp.sunsite.dk